× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
ppcehbrown ppcehbrown
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, ppcehbrown
A curved “hitchhiker’s thumb” is recessive to a straight thumb. The following pedigree traces the presence of hitchhiker’s thumb in a family. Identify the genotypes of all the people shown in the following pedigree chart. Enter genotypes as SS, Ss, ss and uncertain genotypes as S_.

I-1 is _____
I-2 is _____
II-1 is _____
II-2 is _____
II-3 is _____
II-4 is _____
III-1 is _____
III-2 is _____
III-3 is _____
IV-1 is _____
IV-2 is _____
IV-3 is _____
IV-4 is _____
Post Merge: 8 years ago

Still need some help with this please Slight Smile
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 1761 times
10 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
ppcehbrown Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Please, anyone, I still need help with this question, thanks
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Please, anyone, I still need help with this question, thanks

I glanced at it yesterday, but I was reluctant to reply because it has been a while since I've looked at these types of questions. What have you done so far to answer it? Maybe i can build off your ideas...
ppcehbrown Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Honestly I'm pretty new at attempting pedigree charts and I'm trying to teach myself but I'm clearly not understanding how there done. That's why I thought I could view how someone else did it, to teach myself.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Okay, if you have a hitchhikers thumb, that means you have two recessive genes, so two small s's.

If you are coloured black in the pedigree, it means you have it, so we know all the coloured ones are ss. If you are SS or Ss, you *don't* have it.

I1, IV1, IV3  are all ss.

Notice that the offspring in IV have the recessive trait, but both parents don't. Therefore, both parents must be carrying the recessive trait, in other words they are both heterozygous Ss - they have to be.

III1 and III2 are Ss. We can assume that III3 might have the gene, so we are uncertain, III3 should be S_.

Is this making sense?

ppcehbrown Author
wrote...
8 years ago
So far that is making sense...
So if parents (III-1 & III-2) are Ss, then their other 2 offspring (IV-2 & IV-4)would have to be Ss, right, cause their not affected?
And for the offspring (II-1, II-2 & II-3) they all have to be Ss as well cause their all not affected?
What about II-4... would they be S_ cause we don't know if III-3 is affected or would we be able to figure it out because II-3 & II-4 have 2 offspring (III-2 & III3), one of which has two affect offspring.

Haha am I making any sense. Wow this is a tough one... and I really do appreciate your help bio_man Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
This is my guess. This is what makes sense to me.

By the way, I replaced the S with an R so that it's easier to make out the smaller letters. Face Screaming in Fear
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
By the way, do you get your results instantly or does it get marked by someone?
ppcehbrown Author
wrote...
8 years ago
I got the mark back today... everything was right except I-2... that one was S_
With that being said I wanted to thank you very much for all of your help.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
I got the mark back today... everything was right except I-2... that one was S_
With that being said I wanted to thank you very much for all of your help.

My pleasure, feel free to post more questions. We appreciate the update.
ppcehbrown Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Thanks... I definitely will Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1253 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372