× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
foxy10 foxy10
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
3.   3)  For each of the following hypotheses, identify the likely dependent variable and describe one way that you might operationalize (define/measure) that dependent variable.
1.   Teenagers are better at video games than are adults in their 30s
2.   Spanking children leads them to be more violent.
3.   Students do better in statistics courses if they study with other people than if they study alone.
4.   4)  Two researchers are both interested in the relationship between caffeine consumption and activity level for elementary school kids. Each obtains a sample of 20 children.
1.   The first researcher interviews each child to determine the level of caffeine consumption. The researcher then records the level of activity for each child during a 30-minute session on the playground. Is this an experimental or observational study? Explain your answer.
2.   The second researcher separates the kids into two roughly equal groups. The kids in one group are given a drink with 300 mg of caffeine and the other group gets a drink with no caffeine. The researcher then records the level of activity for each child during a 30-minute session on the playground. Is this an experimental or observational study? Explain your answer.
5.   5)  Assume you take your temperature with a thermometer three times over a 30-min period. The readings are 98, 106, and 89 degrees.
1.   Briefly discuss what you might conclude about the reliability of your thermometer given these measures.
2.   Briefly discuss what you might conclude about the validity of your thermometer given these measures.
Read 578 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
8 years ago
"Having trouble figuring with psy 138 statistics" is not an appropriate title as no one even knows what that is.

Add a brief description of the question instead, the question you want answered, because that has no meaning!!
wrote...
Staff Member
8 years ago
The dependent variable is a measurable quantity that would go on the y-axis. The independent goes on the x-axis

1.   Teenagers are better at video games than are adults in their 30s

So, the hypothesis here is that as age increases, game efficiency decreases.

The variable here that depends on age is game efficiency.

Underthespell is right.

A more appropriate title would be: Identify the likely dependent variable and describe one way...

Try the next one, the reply back. I will tell you if it's right. Slight Smile
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
Staff Member
8 years ago
You don't need to start a new topic Undecided

I deleted your new thread.

Try the next one, the reply back. I will tell you if it's right.

Offer still stands. Slight Smile
- Bachelor of Science
foxy10 Author
wrote...
8 years ago
would spanking be the dependent variable?
wrote...
Staff Member
8 years ago
2.   Spanking children leads them to be more violent.

Always pose the question like this...

If *independent variable* increase/decrease, *dependent variable" increases/decreases.

** Try to put it into this mold to see if it makes sense. Therefore:

As *spanking* increases, *violence level* increases.

See how this makes sense. But if you were to switch 'spanking' with 'violence' (in the same sentence), it wouldn't make sense at all!

Overall > Spanking is independent, violence is dependent.

Now try the next one and get back to me Slight Smile
- Bachelor of Science
foxy10 Author
wrote...
8 years ago
That really did help
Thank you.
 Do you know how to figure out number 4 and number 5?
wrote...
Staff Member
8 years ago
That really did help
Thank you.
 Do you know how to figure out number 4 and number 5?

I see you started a new topic. I will continue there.

*Remember, two questions per thread.
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1231 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4