× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
ysy ysy
wrote...
11 years ago
A fence is to be built to enclose a rectangular area of 200 square feet. The fence along three sides is to be made of material that costs 6 dollars per foot, and the material for the fourth side costs 16 dollars per foot. Find the dimensions of the enclosure that is most economical to construct

dimenstions?
i need to know this for my exam so a step by step would be nice
Read 1130 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
RJW Author
wrote...
11 years ago
I think the *more* costly side is 16 vice 12.
So, same derivation as above but answer is
W = 10*sqrt(12/11)
L = 20*sqrt (11/12)
wrote...
11 years ago
In order to answer optimization problems, you need to set-up first the equation for what you need to optimize. In this problem, you need to optimize cost. Thus, if you let

l = length
w = width
C = cost

then

C = 6(l + l + w) + 16w
C = 12l + 22w

Note that in this problem, I assumed that the fourth side, which is more expensive to fence, is a width.

Now, we also know that

A = lw
200 = lw

because the area is 200 sq ft. This information is important, as it will allow us the following transformation,

l = 200/w

which ultimately leads to the substitution

C = 12(200/w) + 22w
C = 2400/w + 22w

Note that we need the cost to be a function affected by only 1 variable, and that is the reason for the substitution. Note that if we did not substitute for length, then we would have 2 changing variables on the right side of the cost equation: the length and the width. You know that 1 changes with the other, because they have to maintain the 200 sq ft of area. Now that we have set-up the equation where we would optimize the cost, and finished with the substitution so that it is only determined by 1 variable, we now begin to differentiate.

C' = -2400/w^2 + 22 {I hope that you have no problem getting the derivative}

Since the optimum value occurs when the first derivative is set to 0, we then have

0 = -2400/w^2 + 22
22w^2 = 2400
w^2 = 1200/11
w = sqrt(1200/11), or
w = 20/11 * sqrt(33) {this was obtained by simplifying the one above, and by rationalizing it}

To determine the length, we have

l = 200/w
l = 200/ [20/11 * sqrt(33)]
l = 110/sqrt(33)
l = 10/3 * sqrt(33)

Thus, the dimensions of your rectangle is

20/11 * sqrt(33) by 10/3 * sqrt(33)

Hope this helps!!!!!
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
very elegant solution Slight Smile
I don't feel like riding until everything blurs.

Ask Me Maths Questions

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1226 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion