m
c
c
ttrold ttrold
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Hi Friends

I am working on a paper and trying to understand the biology of wetland ecosystems (in my paper divided in peatlands, marshes and swamps) - especially why tropical peatlands of Southeast Asia, have been found to emit large amounts of CO2.

What I do not understand is this: Traditionally forests where believed to be in balance with atmospheric CO2, but recent research have shown that forests in general are carbon sinks - which probably is due to an increase of CO2 in the atmosphere. This I understand, - buy how does it fit in the carbon cycle/carbon balance, that wetlands apparently emit large amounts of CO2?

For reference, see for example:

Couwenberg, J., Dommain, R., Joosten, H., 2010. Greenhouse gas fluxes from tropical peatlands in south-east Asia. Global Change Biology 16, 1715–1732.

Hirano, T., Jauhiainen, J., Inoue, T., Takahashi, H., 2009. Controls on the Carbon Balance of Tropical Peatlands. Ecosystems 12, 873–887.

Sincerely,
Lasse Jesper Pedersen
Read 3359 times
8 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
This I understand, - buy how does it fit in the carbon cycle/carbon balance, that wetlands apparently emit large amounts of CO2?

Wetlands are characterized by water-logged soils and distinctive communities of plant and animal species that have evolved and adapted to the constant presence of water. Due to this high level of water saturation as well as warm weather, wetlands are one of the most significant natural sources of atmospheric methane.

Because the microbes that live in warm, moist environments consume oxygen more rapidly than it can diffuse in from the atmosphere, wetlands are the ideal anaerobic, or oxygen poor, environments for fermentation.

In a process called acetoclastic methanogenesis, microorganisms from the classification domain archaea produce methane by fermenting acetate and H2-CO2 into methane and carbon dioxide.
H3C-COOH → CH4 + CO2
Sunshine ☀ ☼
ttrold Author
wrote...
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, ttrold
Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I am however still in doubt. Both the Oceans and Forests are believed to be SINKS of atmospheric carbon. This is probably because the atmospheric balance has shifted due to the burning of fossil fuels and extensive global deforestation. There is in other words a surplus of carbon in the atmosphere. So far so good.

I also understand the basic concept that photoautotrophs (plants, algae, and many species of bacteria) converts atmospheric CO2 and water into organic compounds using the energy from the sun. When the photoautotrophs later rot (or are consumed by animals or burned) the organic material will be broken down into simpler forms of matter again and the carbon will be returned to the atmosphere. For wetlands most of the carbon that enters these ecosystem, some will be converted into methane gas in the absence of oxygen. Parts are then released as methane gas through ebullition, diffusion and transport through aerenchymous and/or vascular plants, and parts will be oxidized by methanotrophic bacteria on the way to the surface - where it through diffusion will be released as CO2.

HOWEVER, In my understanding the general picture should hence be that wetlands where consumers of CO2 while emitting CH4.. But that is not always the case? From where comes the apparent carbon surplus in wetlands?

Post Merge: 11 years ago

forests = mature / old growth forests ..
Answer accepted by topic starter
colleencolleen
wrote...
Valued Member
Top Poster
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, duddy
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Sunshine ☀ ☼