a
t
i
r
r
irina irina
wrote...
11 years ago
Ill be done with nursing school in about 18 months, and i was not sure if i can be hired to work in the ED right out of school or will I need to work the floor for a while  before i can apply to the ED? Thanks
Read 926 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
You can go straight out of school to the ER. It is nice to have some experience before working there but not a necessity.  I started working in a critical care dept right out of nursing school and done fine. Good luck with school
                                                 Linda
wrote...
11 years ago
Yes! However, it does depend on what facility you work in.   My advice is to get a job as a nursing student in the ER as a tech until you make the transition into the RN role.   Plan on getting your ACLS, PALS, NRPor NALS certs along with your basic CPR as the patients who come to ER often require more advanced life support.   It will be a huge help getting the position.
wrote...
11 years ago
Yes you can--at most ER's.

A few years ago most ED's wouldn't hire new grads, and they required a minimum 2 years experience.

The nursing shortage has made most ED's relax that requirement, and they frequently do hire new grads now.

Hopefully, you can do an elective in the ED you want to work in, so they can size you up, and you can get a feel for the place.
wrote...
11 years ago
Most hospitals that I have seen will hire you to work in the ED.

In the past that has not been the case because they wanted to have applicants with experience. Now the trend has changed as they will hire you and make you work in an apprentice/intern role for 4-8 weeks and then evaluate you and hire you full time.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1423 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274