i
r
r
rkim12 rkim12
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I'm in nursing school and I can't figure this homework problem out:

Ordered: Inamrinone (Inocor) 5 mcg/kg/minute. Available: inamrinone 50mg/100 mL normal saline. Patient weighs 135 pounds. Calculate the dosage in milliliters/hour for this patient.

Can someone please show me how to set this problem up and work it out?  Thank you!!!

I have one other problem similar to this that I will be posting, also.  Thanks, again!
Read 812 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
We have no way of knowing the necessary information for this kind of problem. I'm assuming the body weight is included because some 'number' is needed to base metabolism on, which we cannot know.

We do not have the available data for these kinds of problems. You either have to supply this, or perhaps you could post this in the medical section.

Sorry   Frowning Face

I will, however mention that while you medical people use the weirdest units ("mcg")....which I have no idea what that is suppose to be, I can point out that your units have to match. If a mass of "mg" is being used, then all your masses have to be the same....same goes for the volumetric values too.

In other words...liters, grams, seconds. You can't mix pounds and kg, nor can you mix grams with kilograms (kg), the units have to be the same. Your times all have to be in minutes....or seconds, or whatever.
wrote...
11 years ago
let the units do the work for you... you know you need to end up with mL / hour

135 # (kg /  2.20462262185 #) = 61.2349699 kg

61.2349699 kg * (5 mcg/kg/min)(mg / 1000 mcg)(100mL / 50mg)(60min / hr)
patient weight * required dosage * conversion / saline concentration * conversion = flow rate / hr

(I'm assuming the mcg is microgram which is 1/1000 of a mg)

note that all the units cancel except for mL / hr

now you can multiply the numbers: (61.2349699 * 5 * 100 * 60) / (1000 * 50) = 36.74 mL / hr
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1114 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?