s
a
t
i
r
visharad visharad
wrote...
13 years ago
Can you suggest some simple experiment to determine if the cellulase activity in an animal is intrinsic or is symbiotic in origin?

I thought of this experiment but am not sure:-
Maintain temperature and pressure at which symbiotic bacterias die. If the animal survives on surplus cellulose when reinfected with the symbiotic bacteria but dies of starvation in the absence of the bacteria even when it is given surplus cellulose, then the cellulase activity is symbiotic in origin. If the animal survives on surplus oxygen without the symbiotic bacteria, then the cellulase activity is intrinsic in origin.

Here is what I think my answer may not be proper:-

When we do not even know whether the cellulase activity is symbiotic, then how can we know if symbiotic bacteria should be used. If yes, then how do we know what bacteria should be used for infecting the animal with the bacteria?
Can you suggest some better experiment? Thanks.
Read 3261 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Bacteria are not the only species that digest cellulose, cellulolytic protozoa species (Reticulitermes flavipes) also digest it using cellulase. So, are you trying to set up an experiment to determine if the gene that programs cellulose naturally came into place (intrinsic), through mutation, versus it being transfered from another species? If this is the case, you experiment doesn't really deal with this issue Sad Dummy.
visharad Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Yes that is what I am trying to find. So what experiment to do?
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, duddy
Well clearly it is symbiotic in origin because the bacteria that break down cellulose are not there where the animal is born. For instance, calfs (baby cows) obtain these essential bacteria after a few days of being alive. So I suppose you were on the right track. So your control is: Baby cows are feed a cellulose-digesting-bacteria-free diet and, for the experimental grow, have the cows eat a natural diet; see which one survives.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1410 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4