a
d
c
juliasarands juliasarands
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago

I just started my undergrad degree...

I am majoring in both Geography and Physics, is that enough to continue in the astronomy direction (like for a masters, and PHD)?

Thanks in advance! *
Read 940 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I'm always surprised to hear that geography is a major.  Physics is the one you really need, so it's good that's one of your majors.  You don't need to know much astronomy to get into grad school in physics, astrophysics, or astronomy - the physics is the important part, and knowing some astronomy helps, so if you can take some courses in that as well, that's good, but not as crucial as physics.  Spend your summers doing research, either at your school, or through an REU or NASA program - get a feel for what research is like, and get a jump start on grad school that way.
wrote...
11 years ago
As eri said physics is the most important if you want to go into astronomy. Also chemistry and geology can be helpful. Even biology if you want to get into astrobiology. Though I'm not sure how much call there is for that at the moment.
wrote...
11 years ago
At the undergraduate level, concentrate on math, physics, and computer science.
wrote...
11 years ago
As an undergrad, it's important to take a whole lot of physics as it will be used in astronomy a whole lot. Mathematics may also be a good idea.
wrote...
11 years ago
I did it with two undergraduate degrees in math (one in maths & stats).  

However, I would gladly change one of them for science (physics and chemistry).

I also did a lot of specialized geography at the college level and it helps.

But physics is more important (and math is a lot of help if you go into cosmology)
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  958 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 432

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?