t
i
r
r
Oasis Oasis
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
In a recent lab, we prepared cultures from an inanimate object and from a biological source. The culture from the inanimate object is to be incubated for 3-5 days at 30 degrees Celsius, whereas the culture from the biological source requires incubation at 37 degrees Celsius for 18-22 hours. I understand that the culture from a biological source (i.e. from my body) would be incubated at body temp, but then I would expect the inanimate object source to be incubated closer to room temp...is it at 30 degrees C just to encourage bacterial growth? And also, why does the inanimate object sourced sample require a longer incubation time? I had thought it was the lower temp, but apparently that's incorrect...

Thank you ever so much for any help...it's greatly appreciated!
Read 3324 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Is the culture medium the same for the inanimate object?

If so, I think the purpose of the lab may be to demonstrate and compare conditions under which bacteria accumulate and grow outside vs inside of an organism (and when a biological source is immediately present and not). Think of a week of hot and humid weather.Temperatures are sustained at 30 degrees. How will this influence microbial growth around your kitchen sink for instance? In other words I like your hypothesis.

The longer incubation period is likely related to the fact that there are presumably no biological life forms initially present and that you are examining conditions under which micro organism of any sort may naturally proliferate (or not) provided that the right nutrients are available (outside of a host).

Just some thoughts. Hope that's of some help.

Cheers,

Ray
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1132 People Browsing
 105 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion