a
t
i
r
HelenaKiwi HelenaKiwi
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
I mean, animals hunt and when they do that their preys can feel pain. My question is if animals are aware of the pain that they produce. For example, humans feel empathy for animals and can choose no eat meat because we don't do that for instinct and animals do for instinct.
Read 422 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
8 years ago
I don't think so because in order for them to be conscious of inflicted pain they have to have higher thought process. Since animal's frontal lobe of the brain is not as evolved as human, their thought process is also limited. For that reason, I think, they have limited emotions such as empathy.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
I think the closest thing to this in animals is altruistic behavior. In biology, altruism refers to behaviour by an individual that increases the fitness of another individual while decreasing the fitness of the actor. In other words, animal A will do something good for animal B with no benefit gained. Sort of like what humans do when they adapt animals as pets. Unlike our conscious effort to help others, this type of help exhibited by animals is not evaluated in moral terms - it is the consequences of an action for reproductive fitness that determine whether the action is considered altruistic, not the intentions, if any, with which the action is performed. (source below)
Source  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altruism_(biology)
HelenaKiwi Author
wrote...
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, HelenaKiwi
I think the closest thing to this in animals is altruistic behavior. In biology, altruism refers to behaviour by an individual that increases the fitness of another individual while decreasing the fitness of the actor. In other words, animal A will do something good for animal B with no benefit gained. Sort of like what humans do when they adapt animals as pets. Unlike our conscious effort to help others, this type of help exhibited by animals is not evaluated in moral terms - it is the consequences of an action for reproductive fitness that determine whether the action is considered altruistic, not the intentions, if any, with which the action is performed. (source below)

Thank you for your answer!

First, sorry if you don't undestand me because English is not my native language.

Second... I understand that humans and nonhumans animals developed positive strategies to preserve the species and we call it morality. For this reason we can find "good" behaviors in another species, but are this animals concious of this? I think that if they don't have theory of mind then no. Am I wrong? I'm here to learn!
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
For this reason we can find "good" behaviors in another species, but are this animals concious of this?

I believe it is instinctual, more than deliberate.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1217 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352