a
t
i
r
hmf2012 hmf2012
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
1. In activity 4 the action potential why was there a delay between the action potential tracing R1 and R2?
2. Regarding TTX and lidocaine, what is a common mechanism of many drugs that block pain?
3. Describe the relationship between axon diameter and myelination to conduction velocity of impulses.
4. Describe what is happening when the action potential reaches the axon terminal that causes the release of neurotransmitter.
5. What is the relationship between the rate of action potential generation and the amount of Ca++ that enters a cell?
Read 10589 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
11 years ago
This is what I put. Double check it...

Review Sheet Results
1. What does TTX do to voltage-gated Na+ channels?
Your answer:
TTX blocks voltage-gated sodium channels so that they will not open.
2. What does lidocaine do to voltage-gated Na+ channels? How does the effect of lidocaine differ from the effect of TTX?
Your answer:
Lidocaine also blocks voltage-gated sodium channels so that they will not open.
3. A nerve is a bundle of axons, and some nerves are less sensitive to lidocaine. If a nerve, rather than an axon, had been
used in the lidocaine experiment, the responses recorded at R1 and R2 would be the sum of all the action potentials (called
a compound action potential). Would the response at R2 after lidocaine application necessarily be zero? Why or why not?
Your answer:
Lidocaine binds to Na+ ion and prevents the flow of the ions
4. Why are fewer action potentials recorded at recording electrodes R2 when TTX is applied between R1 and R2? How
well did the results compare with your prediction?
Your answer:
My prediction was correct. When the TTX was applied, the action potential could not be conducted between R1 and R2.
5. Why are fewer action potentials recorded at recording electrodes R2 when lidocaine is applied between R1 and R2?
How well did the results compare with your prediction?
Your answer:
My prediction was correct and it had the same result as to what happened with the TXX trial.
6. Pain-sensitive neurons (called nociceptors) conduct action potentials from the skin or teeth to sites in the brain involved
in pain perception. Where should a dentist inject the lidocaine to block pain perception?
Your answer:
The lidocaine should be injected very near the sensory nerve receptors and/or the sensory nerve supplying the skin or tooth.
The dentist I have now is the first one that does not have to give me multiple shots.
Volunteers are seldom paid; not because they are worthless, but because they are PRICELESS!
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
3. Describe the relationship between axon diameter and myelination to conduction velocity of impulses.

The larger the axon diameter, the greater the conduction velocity.
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
Thanks, trin! lol
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
11 years ago
Thanks, trin! lol

I am trying to get my groove going! Miss this place!!! I need to start a surg. tech section....lol
Volunteers are seldom paid; not because they are worthless, but because they are PRICELESS!
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
Thanks, trin! lol

I am trying to get my groove going! Miss this place!!! I need to start a surg. tech section....lol

What type of information would go in there? I wouldn't mind at all starting a new section. Maybe we can make it a sub-category of an already existing category?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1288 People Browsing
Gallery

Your Opinion