a
t
i
r
frankfrank1 frankfrank1
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I have hepatitis B antigen negative and I wanna donate blood. Is it NOT harmful to the receiver?
I have taken hepatitis B vaccine 3 times last year, but my antigen is still negative. I am taking 2nd time this year and I have already taken first shot.
Read 492 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
it's highly doubtable, just go to a donating place and ask
wrote...
11 years ago
Hepatitis B antigen tells you whether or not you are infected with the virus.  You want that to be negative.  

When you get the hepatitis B vaccine you are supposed to get hepatitis B antibodies.  So you want to be hepatitis B antibody positive.  The hepatitis B vaccine is a 3-shot series.  After you finish the series, you should be tested if it worked and you have the antibodies.  This is what tells you if you are protected against the virus.  Sometimes people need to get the vaccine series more than once to get the antibodies, which is probably the case with you.

When you donate blood, they will always test your blood to see if you have ever been exposed to the hepatitis B virus.  If you have never been exposed, they will accept your blood.  If you have been exposed at some point, then they will contact you and let you know that they cannot use your blood.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1227 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274