a
t
i
r
rkkovach rkkovach
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Like when there's something like Fe(CO). Or something like that. I just made that one up.
How do you differentiate the different types of bonds just by seeing the formula?
And how do you know when to name a compound with nitrite or nitrate? I know that nitrate has more oxygen atoms than nitrite, but how can I know which is the higher amount of oxygen for differents compound?
Read 449 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
The formula of an ionic bond containing compound will always begin with a metal, which forms the cation. The rest of it will be a non-metal or a covalently linked compond of a metal or a non-metal with oxygen and, sometimes, hydrogen. Example: MgHPO4 is ionic: Mg(2+) HPO4(2-).

Covalent species are generally the non-metallic elementary or compound substances. Pure metals have metallic bond between atoms in solid, and, I think, also liquid, state.

Nitrate and nitrite and so on: you'll have to learn it by heart, there is no strict correlation with the number of oxygens. I mean, yes, there is some: -ide has none, then hypo-...-ite, -ite, -ate, per-...-ate and hyper-...-ate increase the number of oxygen atoms by this order, but the exact numbers vary.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1292 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?