t
i
r
r
lewis lewis
wrote...
Valued Member
13 years ago
Hey Folks, I need help answering this question, so if you guys say you're as good as you are, shed some light please Sad Dummy

If the central pattern generator for a human walking is located in the spinal cord, then is the brain required at all for successful walking behavior? Justify your answer.

oh, btw, this is for my physiology class Slight Smile
Read 1336 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Okay... Rather than giving you the answer, how did you go about approaching it?
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Hey,

By definition, a central pattern generator is a subset of neurons that can maintain spontaneous rhythmic output in the absence of sensory input.

Therefore, the basic neural control for coordinating the action of the limbs during walking is housed in the spinal cord, and it can maintain its own activity without input from the brain. However, in a natural environment, inputs from the brain ARE required for a variety of other tasks associated with successful locomotion.

For example, the cortex and brainstem are required to initiate locomotion. In other words, while the central pattern generator can maintain its own activity without input from the brain, it does, in fact, need a brain ?trigger? in order to start.

The cerebellum is required for balance and coordination to prevent the human from falling over. The brainstem controls the speed of locomotion. The cortex assists in regulating gait based on visual inputs such as obstacles and uneven terrain. Even though the central pattern generator can control basic muscular coordination, other sensory inputs and higher integrative inputs are required for successful walking
behavior in a real setting.

Duddy  Slight Smile
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  886 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370