s
m
c
c
buhneeduh1218 buhneeduh1218
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I think it's found in red and brown dyes, but I'm not sure.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Read 535 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Australia
wrote...
11 years ago
Quite often associated with brine or sea salt.
wrote...
11 years ago
Most commonly in sea-salt mixtures, where the NaBr would be separated from NaCl.  There may be some bromine-rich salt deposits.  Elemental bromine is too reactive to be recovered directly.
wrote...
11 years ago
The element bromine is so reactive that it is not found in uncombined form.  It is usually found as the Na, K, Ca or Mg salt in seawater.  I think the largest producer of this is the country of Israel, mostly from the Dead Sea.  Good question for an internet browser.
wrote...
11 years ago
Ally,

Bromine is not used in red dyes, because doing so would make the dyes toxic. Most bromine in industry and in the earth is found in the form of bromide compounds (those containing the ion Br-), and the Br- ion is colorless, which would make it useless in dyes.

In the earth, most bromine (as Br- ion) is found in the ocean. Bromine can also be found in evaporite deposits as bromide minerals in certain places on the earth, or as a minor consituent in other evaporite minerals or hydrothermal minerals. Elsewhere, its concentration is very low.
wrote...
11 years ago
Bromine was discovered by Antoine Balard at the salt marshes of Montpellier in 1826, but was not produced in quantity until 1860. so i guess like in salty places. Slight Smile lol.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  723 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 432

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?