a
t
i
r
anneheey98 anneheey98
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
Does the rate of osmosis differ with the type of sugar solution? I am currently doing a study with putting potato pieces in different solutions: sucroce, maltose, lactose, fructose,and glucose, with the same amount of particles in (I have divided the mol mass with 10, and then divided with 2 on all of them, and mixed with 100 ml of water).

I am not sure whether or not there actually is a difference here, and if I should go with it. What do you think, and why? Does it matter if they are monosaccharide or disaccharide?

Thank you! Slight Smile
Read 205 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
7 years ago
From what I know, the rate isn't dependent on the sugar because osmosis is based on water concentration only. However, if I had to make an assumption, I've say the larger sugars would more likely cover the pores prevent water from flowing.
anneheey98 Author
wrote...
7 years ago
Thank you! The only huge difference I found was with lactate, where the mass of potatoes grew. Reverse osmosis?
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
Thank you! The only huge difference I found was with lactate, where the mass of potatoes grew. Reverse osmosis?
Interesting, that suggests water moved into the potato, so the concentration of water outside was greater than the concentration inside.

Is this result consistent with what your classmates got?
anneheey98 Author
wrote...
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, anneheey98
I am the only one in my class doing this, as we are each doing individual projects.
I used three different potato chips of 5 centimetres, so it should be accurate. I can add the results here once I have collected and calculated the percentage changes. :-)
Post Merge: 7 years ago

http://
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
This document might help...
 Attached file 
(1333.94 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1288 People Browsing
Related Images