a
t
i
r
JuzVick JuzVick
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
Hello, I've got this question and I really don't know what to answer.

I did some research, but couldn't find a clear explanation of what can happen to the nucleic acids in the cytoplasm and what situations/circumstances could threaten them.

Furthermore, I'm not sure whether it's asking about mRNA - when it's sent out of the nucleus to produce polypeptides, or any other situation.

Any help is highly appreciated
Read 420 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
Are you referring to mRNA specifically as it travels from the nucleus into the cytoplasmic where it is transcribed?
JuzVick Author
wrote...
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, JuzVick
Yes, that same mRNA ready for translation.

The question is as vague as you see it. It may refer to any nucleic acids in the cytoplasm, including Mitochondrial DNA, Chloroplast DNA and even Viral DNA.

I mentioned mRNA because that's the first thing that comes in mind when thinking of nucleic acids outside the nucleus.
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
mRNA is protected before it leaves the nucleus, poly-A tail, G-cap, etc.
JuzVick Author
wrote...
7 years ago
Yes, but is there anything that may happen to them? alteration of the codes by viral infection or something.. ?
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
I don't think so. Mutations occur at the genetic level (DNA nucleotides get messed up). If the mRNA is damaged, the nucleotides are recycled. I've never came across information pertaining to the scenario you mentioned.
JuzVick Author
wrote...
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, JuzVick
Yea, that's what I studied as well, but I never came across something like this.
This question doesn't make much sense. I guess I'll skip it and ask to my teacher what's the mystery here.

Thanks though, appreciate your help.

Post Merge: 7 years ago

Hi, I have asked my professor about this question and she said that it may be anything: nucleic acids in prokaryotic cells (they don't have the nucleus); nucleic acids during meiosis and mitosis (in prometafase) or any situation whenever we have nucleic acids in a cytoplasm.

I yet can't find an answer, no google research has one.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1361 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?