j
l
d
y
il0veu08 il0veu08
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
In Multiple Sclerosis, the myelin sheath slowly degrades. What are possible consequences of this?
a. Axons are slower to fire initial action potentials so response time are slower.
b. Ions are able to diffuse out of the axon membrane more easily, so signals cannot travel entire distance.
c. Electrochemical gradients along these unmyelated regions increase.
d. Increased number of areas where action potentials occur down the membrane.
Read 564 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
smorgan6616smorgan6616
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free

Related Topics

wrote...
12 years ago
In order for me to answer this without sounding confusing, I'll try to explain what I understand in simpler terms.  When the myelin sheath degrades from your nerve, it causes the nerve to "short circuit" itself causing the messages it's supposed to be sending to the section of your body it's in charge of protecting to become slightly messed up.  This tells that section of the body something isn't working correctly, so your body tries to correct what's incorrect which causes even more confusion to the nerve. This can cause numb sensations or more to bodyparts, or even cause them to not work right because of the nerve confusion.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1103 People Browsing
Related Images