s
b
j
u
j
Julaaro Julaaro
wrote...
11 years ago
Suppose that a small island population of 100 individuals is visited by 25 sailors who decide to stay and raise families.  Suppose also that 36% of the original population had a counter clockwise hair whorl and that all the sailors had a counter clock wise hair whorl.  

What will be the genotype and allele frequencies of the next generation?

This is an example of what kind of evoluntionary force?
Can somebody help me solve this problem?  I'm not sure what to do.
Read 546 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
This is a fairly long answer... first you need to get the initial allele frequencies. equation is p2 + 2pq + q2 (p2 and q2 from here on in is p squared and q squared)
Since I am left to assume that counter clockwise is recessive then .36 is the initial q2. Taking the square root of that we get .6 as the initial allele frequency for q. 1-q=p so p=1-.6=.4. In other words, the island initally has 80p (clockwise)alleles and 120q (counterclockwise) alleles since humans are diploid and have two copies of each gene.
Now, the 25 sailors have have added 50 copies of the q allele thereby changing the allele frequencies. The new allele frequencies are (120+50)/250 for q and 80/250 for p. when you do the math you get .32 for p and .68 for q. This will be the allele frequencies for the next generation too.
Now plugging those numbers into the equation that I sited earlier you get .1024 for p2, .4352 for 2pq and .4624 for q2. You can give those a dominant/recessive notation such as WW for p2, Ww for 2pq, and ww for q2 to show genotype frequencies.

The evolutionary force at work is migration.
hope this is what you were looking for.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1052 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 405