l
a
s
galpinj galpinj
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
Hey guys,

So I have a quick question about apical dominance. I think I understand the difference between apical buds and axillary buds as well as apical meristems and lateral meristems. I'm just curious about something regarding apical dominance. If we cut the primary apical bud off and allow the axillary buds to grow, will one of them eventually takeover as the new apical meristem with apical dominance?

Otherwise, does cutting the primary apical bud off destroy any hope of apical dominance returning to the plant?

Thank you everyone
Read 373 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
I'm not an expert in this field whatsoever, but I found this interesting read on Wikipedia:

Plant physiologists have identified four different stages the plant goes through after the apex is removed (Stages I-IV). The four stages are referred to as

1. lateral bud formation,
2. "imposition of inhibition" (apical dominance),
3. initiation of lateral bud outgrowth following decapitation, and
4. elongation and development of the lateral bud into a branch.

These stages can also be defined by the hormones that are regulating the process which are as follows: Stage I, cytokinin promoted, causing the lateral bud to form since cytokinin plays a role in cell division; Stage II, auxin is promoted, resulting in apical dominance ("imposition of inhibition"); Stage III, cytokinin released resulting in outward growth of the lateral bud; and Stage IV, auxin is decreased and gibberellic acid is promoted which results in cell division, enabling the bud or branch to continue outward growth.

More simply stated, lateral bud formation is inhibited by the shoot apical meristem (SAM). The lateral bud primordium (from which the lateral bud develops) is located below SAM. The shoot tip rising from the SAM inhibits the growth of the lateral bud by repressing auxin. When the shoot is cut off, the lateral bud begins to lengthen which is mediated by a release of cytokinin. Once the apical dominance has been lifted from the plant, elongation and lateral growth is promoted and the lateral buds grow into new branches. When lateral bud formation prevents the plant from growing upward, it is undergoing lateral dominance. Often, lateral dominance can be triggered by decapitating the SAM or artificially decreasing the concentration of auxin in plant tissues.

Hope this helps Crying Face
Source  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apical_dominance
galpinj Author
wrote...
7 years ago
Thanks man, that really helps! Do you think that the growing lateral branch could eventually become equivalent to the SAM, in the sense that it would both exert apical dominance and begin growing vertically? Or would losing the SAM force the plant into lateral dominance permanently? It just seems hard to fathom the idea that if I cut off the top of a small pine tree, it would no longer be able to grow vertically.

Really appreciate the input!
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
I think that is the case. As per a Wikipedia article:

Apical dominance is phenomenon where one meristem prevents or inhibits the growth of other meristems. As a result, the plant will have one clearly defined main trunk. For example, in trees, the tip of the main trunk bears the dominant meristem. Therefore, the tip of the trunk grows rapidly and is not shadowed by branches. If the dominant meristem is cut off, one or more branch tips will assume dominance. The branch will start growing faster and the new growth will be vertical. Over the years, the branch may begin to look more and more like an extension of the main trunk. Often several branches will exhibit this behaviour after the removal of apical meristem, leading to a bushy growth.

The mechanism of apical dominance is based on the plant hormone auxin. It is produced in the apical meristem and transported towards the roots in the cambium. If apical dominance is complete, it prevents any branches from forming as long as the apical meristem is active. If the dominance is incomplete, side branches will develop.

Recent investigations into apical dominance and the control of branching have revealed a new plant hormone family termed strigolactones. These compounds were previously known to be involved in seed germination and communication with mycorrhizal fungi and are now shown to be involved in inhibition of branching.
Source  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meristem
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  807 People Browsing
 131 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586