d
sta2jb sta2jb
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
12 years ago
Cardiovascular Dynamics
R E V I E W S H E E T Chapter 5
Vessel Resistance

6. Describe the relationship between flow rate and viscosity. _____________________________ _______________________

7. Was the effect of viscosity greater or less than the effect of radius on fluid flow? Why? _____________________________ _

8. What effect would anemia have on blood flow? Why? _____________________________ __________________________

The following questions refer to Activity 3: Studying the Effect of Flow Tube Length on Fluid Flow.

9. At what flow tube length was the flow rate the highest? _____________________________ _________________________

10. Describe the relationship between flow tube length and fluid flow rate. _____________________________ _____________

11. What effect do you think obesity would have on blood flow? Why? _____________________________ ________________

The following questions refer to Activity 4: Studying the Effect of Pressure on Fluid Flow.

12. What effect did increased pressure have on the fluid flow rate? _____________________________ ___________________

13. In the body, where does the driving pressure for fluid flow come from? _____________________________ _____________

Pump Mechanics
The following questions refer to Activity 5: Studying the Effect of Radius on Pump Activity.

14. What happened to the flow rate as the right vessel radius was increased? _____________________________ ____________

15. What happened to the rate (strokes/min) as the right vessel radius was increased?

Why did this occur? _____________________________ _____________________________ ________________________

The following questions refer to Activity 6: Studying the Effect of Stroke Volume on Pump Activity.

16. At what stroke volume tested was the pump rate the lowest? _____________________________ _____________________

17. Describe the relationship between stroke volume and pump rate. _____________________________ __________________

18. Use the relationship in question 17 to explain why an athlete’s resting heart rate would be lower than that of a sedentary
individual. _____________________________ _____________________________ _____________________________ __
The following questions refer to Activity 7: Studying Combined Effects.

19. How did decreasing the left flow tube radius affect pump chamber filling time? Hint: Look at the change in flow rate and
relate this to filling time. _____________________________ _____________________________ ____________________
20. When the left beaker pressure was decreased to 10 mm Hg, what happened to the filling time? ________________________

The following questions refer to Activity 8: Studying Compensation.

21. With the right flow tube radius decreased to 2.5 mm, what conditions did you change to bring the flow rate back to
normal? _____________________________ _____________________________ _____________________________ _____

22. Adecreased tube radius is analogous to atherosclerosis (plaque formation in vessels). Describe the effect this would have on
resistance in the arterial system and how the human heart might compensate for this change. _________________________
Read 28378 times
17 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
12 years ago
6. Describe the relationship between flow rate and viscosity. ___________________ ___________________ ______________

The greater the viscosity, the less the flow. This is an inverse relationship.
7. Was the effect of viscosity greater or less than the effect of radius on fluid flow? Why?

Viscosity has less effect than radius on fluid flow because flow is directly proportional to the fourth power of vessel radius (r4).
sta2jb Author
wrote...
12 years ago
thanks Mikael!
sta2jb Author
wrote...
12 years ago
does anybody have answers for questions 9-22?
wrote...
12 years ago

ab Exercise # 5             Cardiovascular Dynamics                 

Vessel resistance

16.     At what stroke volume tested was the pump rate the lowest?

please i need help with all 16- 22
paulinor
wrote...
12 years ago
If anyone has the answers to Cardiovascular Dynamics Review Sheet questions 16 to 22 only, I have the remaining PhysioEx labs completed and would gladly exchange, however I need those questions asap and will gladly attach which every lab you are in need of.
wrote...
12 years ago
If anyone has the answers to Cardiovascular Dynamics Review Sheet questions 16 to 22 only, I have the remaining PhysioEx labs completed and would gladly exchange, however I need those questions asap and will gladly attach which every lab you are in need of.
wrote...
12 years ago
Hi everybody my name is Vince i need help
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
i need help

Face with Stuck-out Tongue ok... how so?
wrote...
12 years ago
So I am trying to do my question i need help with the answers to the PhysioEx Assignment ex 5
wrote...
12 years ago
Here are the questions
15. What happened to the rate (strokes/min) as the right vessel radius was increased? Why did this occur?

The following questions refer to Activity 6: Studying the Effect of Stroke Volume on Pump Activity.
16. At what stroke volume tested was the pump rate the lowest?
17. Describe the relationship between stroke volume and pump rate.

18. Use the relationship in question 17 to explain why an athlete’s resting heart rate would be lower than that of a sedentary individual.

The following questions refer to Activity 7: Studying Combined Effects.
19. How did decreasing the left flow tube radius affect pump chamber filling time? Hint: Look at the change in flow rate and relate this to filling time.

20. When the left beaker pressure was decreased to 10 mm Hg, what happened to the filling time?
The following questions refer to Activity 8: Studying Compensation.
21. With the right flow tube radius decreased to 2.5 mm, what conditions did you change to bring the flow rate back to normal?

22. A decreased tube radius is analogous to atherosclerosis (plaque formation in vessels). Describe the effect this would have on resistance in the arterial system and how the human heart might compensate for this change.
(please Help) i am new at this and understand that i may need to answer as well..... its just that this is due in 30mintues
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
15. What happened to the rate (strokes/min) as the right vessel radius was increased? Why did this occur?

Stroke rate increased as the right vessel radius increased because beaker emptying time decreased.

18. Use the relationship in question 17 to explain why an athlete’s resting heart rate would be lower than that of a sedentary individual.

An athlete has a higher stroke volume than a sedentary individual, therefore the athlete needs fewer heart beats (stroke volume) to achieve the same cardiac output.
wrote...
12 years ago
Does anyone have the answer to number 19?
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Does anyone have the answer to number 19?

Answer: Decreasing the left flow tube caused an increase in pump chamber filling time.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1017 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion