t
i
r
r
bio_helper bio_helper
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
I attempted this question twice but I only got 2 right, and my teacher does not give the correct answers, please help!

A student is given eight red blood cell suspensions, which contain only red blood cells, and the serum from each sample.  Serum is blood plasma in which fibrinogen has been removed.

She is asked to identify each of the four blood types present.  To test these samples, the only material she has at her disposal are a sample of type B red blood cell suspension and the serum from type B blood.

Match the statement with the correct outcomes, when considering the step-by-step procedure that must be use to identify the four blood types present.

a.If there was no reaction (or clumping), then the blood type is known to be type B, as there is no antibody b in the serum to react with the B antigens
b.If there is no reaction (or clumping), then the sample is type AB.
c.If there is a reaction or clumping, the sample is type O, as the serum of this sample will contain the antibody b
d.If the sample reacts with the serum forming a clump, then the sample contains antigen A. The sample is either type A or AB, and it is necessary to test the sample further.
e.If the red blood cells clump, then the sample is A, because type A blood serum contains antibody b, which reacts with type B antigen.
f.If no clumping occurs, then the sample is either type O or B and further testing must be done.

1.The student tested all the unknown red blood cells with the serum from the type B blood, which contains the antibody a, which reacts with antigen A.

2.The serum from the samples which tested positive for antigen A are tested with the type B red blood cells.

3.The serum from the samples that did not contain the A antigen were tested with the type B red blood cell sample.

Thanks in advance!

Read 214 times