K
g
L
w
rk_9897 rk_9897
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
If the collision is elastic, than the kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This however, would end up to mean, that when a very massive object moving at a very slow speed, hits a very light object, which is at rest, than the light object's final velocity would be much greater than that of the massive object's initial velocity.
I have checked many simulator applets and this holds true. I don't see however how this could be true (besides that the formulas say so).
I mean, it's hard to imagine a truck moving at 1 mph hitting a small marble, causing the marble to fly off at 20 miles per hour.
Read 816 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Realistically, most collisions are not elastic, meaning that sound and light may be created, or that some destruction may occur.

You're also assuming that the massive object comes to a halt and transfers all it's momentum. It may not do and may in fact continue to move for some time afterwards.
wrote...
11 years ago
The marble would rebound and reverse it's course at about or just over 1 mph.
  In the case of really massive objects small planets etc,the collision would be chaotic and the result would be the smaller object reversing course and moving according to the masses and the momentum absorbed in the collision
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1060 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 587

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?