f
b
d
h
toni toni
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I am trying to measure resistance between two terminals in my car's fuse box. The thing is that when I attach the cables to both terminals, the resistance starts at a really high value and keeps dropping without stopping at any given value. Is my multimeter bad? Or is this a normal reading? Thanks!
Read 681 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
your multimeter is bad because the resistance should be constant.
wrote...
11 years ago
Does your multimeter ever level out? If it does, then that is your reading. If not, go to radioshack and buy a resistor of any kind. The idea is you know how much resistance the resister has, and if your multimeter reads correctly, then you know your multimeter works correctly. Electrical is funny sometimes.
Another thing is, do both terminals lead back to each other? What I mean is this:

Terminal 1-------resistance----------------terminal 2

OR

Terminal 1-------------------------------resistance-------------------ground
Terminal 2-------------------------------resistance--------------------ground

Resistance measuring will only work if you use the first drawing, from the way you are testing. Now if you poked terminal one and poked in between resistance and ground, you'd be able to measure correctly as well. Good luck, email me with any more questions!
wrote...
11 years ago
You do not use the resistance setting for checking the circuit. Use either the " DC Amp" connection or the voltage setting.

Use the resistance setting for testing fuses out of circuit.
wrote...
11 years ago
The meter is bleeding off any stored current in the circuit.It is providing a circuit path to ground from any capacitor.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  875 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 405