t
i
r
buhneeduh1218 buhneeduh1218
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
This is actually a 3-part question.
1.  Why is it that only ozone, oxygen and nitrogen absorb UV rays?
2.  How do they do it?
3.  If oxygen breaks apart then recombines to form ozone, now that some of the UV rays are getting through the ozone layer, why aren't they forming ozone in the lower atmosphere?
Thanks.
And anything else that can help me understand this please!
Please explain in terms of chemistry, not just a basic overview.
Read 724 times
3 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
1. they are the elements with the chemical layout that allows them to bond with the uv 'isotopes', or radioactive ions, but they aren't the only, just the most abundant, least reactive and organic.
2. it would require a chemical reaction, but the only one with the catalyst that i know off hand is oxygen ( the extra o )
3. ozone is lighter than oxygen and nitrogen, so it floats up.
Answer accepted by topic starter
letsgettothisletsgettothis
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 190 words.