a
t
i
r
r
Defiledxhalo Defiledxhalo
wrote...
13 years ago
Getting the fumarate or alpha-ketoglutarate into the cytoplasm would require expenditure of PMF, but we can also think of this as ATP expenditure (10 protons used for transport is 10 protons not available for driving ATP production). What ATP-cost results from transport of one molecule of fumarate or alpha-ketoglutarate?
Read 1329 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, bio_man
The question states that 10 protons are lost for every fumerate molecule or alpha-ketoglutarate molecule exported. To answer this, you have to find out how many protons are required to generate a molecule of ATP via ATPase enzyme in the electron transport chain. So, essentially, you need to figure out the H+/ATP ratio. According to my textbook, numbers between two and four were reported for the H+/ATP ratio, which is the number of protons transported through the enzyme per ATP synthesized. So, ask your teacher what he/she has in their book before answering this; I don't want to mislead you with the wrong number Undecided. For instance, if I say two, the amount will be different if, say, in your teacher's book it's four.
Defiledxhalo Author
wrote...
13 years ago
The ratio my teacher goes by is two, not four.  Slight Smile  So if that's the ratio, would the number be five?
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Okay, so say it requires 10 protons to export fumerate. Since it requires two protons for every ATP made, then you would basically be loosing 5-ATPs for every fumerate/alpha ketogluterate.

Does that answer your question?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1262 People Browsing
 126 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?