a
t
i
r
amal amal
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
13 years ago

1. What is absorption spectrum and its use?

2. What is blank made up of and its use?

3. What are industrial uses of starch?

Read 1267 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
I'm guessing this is for an enzyme lab? Undecided I think they would have this information stated in the protocol.

- Absorption spectrum is the graphical representation of energy absorbed from the radiations of a given spectrum. Its use ultimately depends on your lab since there are infinite uses Slight Smile.

- A blank is a tube which contains only the solvent (without the dissolved molecules). It is used as a reference point.

Industrial Uses:

Adhesives

Starch is also utilized to produce a variety of adhesive used for different purposes, such as book-binding, paper sack, wall paper adhesive, gummed paper, tube winding, school glues, envelop adhesive and bottle labeling. Derivatives from starch, such as yellow dextrins, may be custom-made by adding some chemical varieties to transform them into a firm type of adhesive used for paper work. This is done by blending chemicals such as borax and soda ash with starch solutions at temperatures ranging between 50° C and 70° C to achieve an excellent quality adhesive. In fact, even sodium silicate too may be added to the blend to strengthen the process as well as the end product.

Clothing industry

Starch used in the laundry, also known as clothing starch, is basically a liquid prepared by blending a vegetable starch in water and it is used in laundering of clothes. Earlier, the process also involved boiling the liquid to prepare the clothing starch. It may be mentioned here that clothing starch was extensively used in Europe during the 16th and 17th centuries to harden the wide collars and neck attires made with fine linen (ruffs) that were worn by the wealthy sections of the society. Later, the style changed a little and during the 19th century and early part of the 20th century, it became fashionable to use laundry starch to stiffen the collars and sleeves of the shirts worn by men as well as the ruffles of the girl’s petticoats as cleaned clothes were being ironed by this time. Applying laundry starch to clothes not only provided a crispy and smooth edge to the clothing, but also served some practical purposes too. Laundering of clothes in starch led the dirt and sweat from the individual’s neck and wrists to stick to the collars and sleeves of the shirts and not to the fibres of the clothing. This, in face, made it easy to wash away the dirt and sweat stains along with the starch. Once the clothes were washed, launderers applied starch to them again before ironing. Presently, the clothing starch is available as sprayers packed in cans for domestic use.
It may be mentioned here that starch is one of the major means used to size cotton. In fact, it is used to reduce the breaking of yarns during the weaving process and the wrap yarns are sized with starch. In addition, starch also finds extensive use as a thickener for printing ink.

Biofuel

Glucose derived from starch may be fermented further to produce ethanol or biofuel.

Oil exploration

Starch is also used in the oil exploration industry. It is used to regulate the thickness of the drilling fluid that is used to grease the drill head in (mineral) oil removal.

Hydrogen production

It is interesting to note that starch may be utilized to produce hydrogen by making use of enzymes.
amal Author
wrote...
13 years ago
thnsk really helpful yes it is for enzyme lab

do u know wat is plank made up of i cant find it in protocol
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, bio_man
Amal you make me laugh Smiling Face with Open Mouth.

The “blank” tube contains everything except the molecule you want to measure.

I don't know what you are studying Face with Stuck-out Tongue
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1225 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?