a
t
i
r
ruan.mcguinness ruan.mcguinness
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Is time travel possible? apparently there are NO rules in physics that disprove it, so what do you think about the possibility of it, and also the paradoxes within the universe it may cause?
Read 3671 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
I disagree with it, how can you create the future (i.e. travelling forward in time) if it hasn't even happened yet? it's hard enough to simulate how things will happen in the world as it is. More science-fiction, than anything.
wrote...
12 years ago
Time is what a clock measures. Some physicists think that time is a matter of perception. Einstein late in his life thought that all time might be laid out at once from a point of view outside the Universe. I think that sort of thing is dubious but then I experience something we call time so I tend to think it is a bit more real.

In a multiple universe view of quantum mechanics travel back in time would NOT have effect precede cause since the traveler's time-line would not see the effect before the cause and the traveler's existence would be the cause in the new universe and again effect would not precede cause.

I don't think time travel is possible IF there is only one universe. If the multiple worlds model of quantum mechanics is the right model than time travel MAY be possible even though not necessarily feasible.
wrote...
12 years ago
How can time travel be possible, if the future hasn't happened yet, and the past is gone forever? Thinking Face
Lui
wrote...
12 years ago
Lol! Of course going back in time is impossible. It's an exercise in meaninglessness! Who says time is something that you "can travel" anyways? Time is simple change; nothing more and nothing less. You can have more change (like time "speeds" up), less change (like time "slows" down), or no change (like time stays "still"), but you can't have negative change. I hope that clears things up. Also, even if the "super string" theory of "alternate universes" is correct (which I HIGHLY doubt) you would still NOT be traveling to the past through time; instead, you would be traveling to alternate universes. Also, c is the universal speed limit...it is the speed of time! Once you reach c you will have used up all of the available time in the universe!
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
12 years ago
I think traveling in time is possible if we can travel at the speed of light (or faster) somehow. Like in that movie, Planet of the Apes Face with Stuck-out Tongue
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1280 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4