a
t
i
r
micoo522 micoo522
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Iw as thinking of using starch concentrations of 1C, 2C, 3C, 4C, 5C and testing it to 1C amylase. And using iodine to test the colour. But how do i collect the result sin order to make a graph. This mean collecting valid data to understand what is happening.
Thanks you very much for this fantastic suggestion. I realy appreciate the help.
Read 646 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
First of all, I don't know what you mean by a concentration of 1C.  Concentrations are usually given in terms of molarity or percent by weight.  If you mean molarity, it is unlikely you could get something like 5 M into solution.  Why not do a series of dilutions by half... start with a 20 g per liter solution"Prepare a 20 g/l starch solution.
Mix 20 g of soluble potato starch in approx. 50 ml of cold water.
While stirring, add the slurry to approx. 900 ml of gently boiling water in a large beaker.
Mix well and cool the gelatinized starch solution to room temperature.
Add more water to bring the total volume to 1 liter.
Put a few drops of the starch solution on a glass plate. Add 1 drop of the iodine reagent and see that a deep blue color is developed. The blue color indicates the presence of starch in the solution."

Then take 100 ml of this solution, and add 100 ml of water, and you would have a 10 g/l solution, and so forth...

Once you have your starch solutions you could put them in test tubes.  At a given time, add the same amount of enzyme to each, and shake them up.  Have pipettes and spot plates ready, and take a couple of drops from each tube every minute, put it on the spot plate, and add the iodine solution (which would stop the reaction).  

You could graph the amount ofl the starch is broken down against time.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1339 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?