d
a
g
j
OneHundred OneHundred
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
7 years ago
What have been the main consequences of the "graying of America"?
Textbook 
Government in America: People, Politics, and Policy

Government in America: People, Politics, and Policy

Edition: 9th
Authors:
Read 360 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
7 years ago
The Social/Society forums went that-a-way

There is a serious political/economic consequence to the graying of America that cannot be ignored. More senior citizens means more voting power for that group. When it comes to programs like social security and medicare, which affect most senior citizens, it is proving to be difficult to make cuts that are probably necessary for the fiscal health of our  country. I  will soon be of the age in which I am dealing with both of those programs, and I'd certainly rather see them modified than bankrupt.

However, senior voting power is making it tough to modify them. That means that if we are going to be fiscally responsible, we might have to cut funding to other programs, such as defense, welfare, education etc.  You can't blame a voting bloc for voting to protect their interests, but you have to realize that it's  going to affect others. A grayer America might mean  that the "not yet gray" have to make do with less.

wrote...
Staff Member
7 years ago
One of the fastest growing groups in the United States is that of people over age 65. This large group classifies America as "graying," since a large portion of the population (the baby boomers) is getting old.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1719 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 81