a
t
i
r
rizzlepuff8 rizzlepuff8
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Construct a flow diagram and/or summarize the negative feedback system by which the secretion of thyroxine from the thyroid gland is controlled.

this is a question on my homework that i have no clue how to answer. can someone help me please?
Read 506 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, bio_man
The thyroid gland secretes thyroxin (which controls the metabolic rate) into the bloodstream. Falling levels of thyroxin stimulate receptors in the brain to signal the hypothalamus to release a hormone (TRH - thyroid releasing hormone) that acts on the pituitary gland to release thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) into the blood. TSH acts on the thyroid, causing it to increase production of thyroxin.
Once the levels of thyroxin are restored these levels no longer stimulate the receptors in the brain/hypothalamus and so no more TSH is released.

Hypothalamus->TRH->Anterior lobe of Pituitary->TSH->Thyroid->Thyroxin.
When thyroxin levels are low the whole sequence above takes place.  When thyroxine levels are "normal" the thyroxine inhibits the release of TRH & TSH  = negative feedback.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1289 People Browsing
Related Images