d
a
g
j
rrtmd rrtmd
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
I'm having difficulty understanding the rise in glucose starting about 30 minutes after a meal that occurs in type 1 diabetics. Obviously enough, they lack insulin to cope with postprandial glucose. However, everything I read seems to indicate that gastric emptying for a typical meal in anyone doesn't start until about an hour after the meal, reaches 50% about 2-3 hours afterwards, and isn't finished until 4-5 hours afterwards. Even ignoring that type 1s might exhibit gastroparesis which would slow down emptying even more, it seems contrary to what a typical graphs show for type 1 postprandial glucose concentrations.

I thought initially it was because the studies were just using glucose solution, but those I found that used regular types of meals indicated a similar results. Indeed, the studies in general don't seem to produce results that correlate well with what physiologists indicate is normal gastric emptying.

So where is the glucose coming from that produces the 30-60 minute spike in these studies?
Read 311 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
7 years ago
Some studies show that water starts showing up in the bloodstream within five minutes; half of the water is absorbed in 11-13 minutes; and it's completely absorbed in 75-120 minutes. Here's what the data looks like:

On the left, it shows how quickly the water was absorbed in the first hour, measured in the blood.

http://sweatscience.com/how-quickly-is-water-absorbed-after-you-drink-it/

The same goes with sweetened drinks too
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
rrtmd Author
wrote...
7 years ago
Thanks for the reply. That's interesting but dextrose MUST be broken down in the intestine before it can be absorbed and the other common sweetener, fructose, has to be absorbed in the intestine to reach the liver where it can be broken down. I'm thinking that eating stimulates gastric emptying and peristalsis and that the post-prandial rise in glucose in a type 1 diabetic is mostly coming from the meal PRIOR to the one they are currently eating. Type 1s "carb count" the meal they're about to eat to determine how much insulin they'll need, but I'm wondering whether they really should be considering that PRIOR meal instead.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  2067 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 488