a
t
i
r
ricktyrrell ricktyrrell
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I understand the concept that ground is the zero voltage reference point with respect to the rest of the circuit, but with the ground disconnected, will the circuit continue to function?

I was playing a bit with an small circuit, but I found out, even with ground disconnected, the circuit continues to work? Is this really the case or not? What's the reasoning behind this?

I was trying to justify it by thinking that the circuit continues to work because the electrons in the circuit haven't yet accumulated up to the point where the voltage would to equal. But that reasoning sounds pretty dubious because of how fast electrons move.

So what would be the logical explanation for the circuit to continue to function? thanks.
Read 368 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Current stops circulating only if the ground is part of the circuit,  If it's just the third (ground) prong of the outlet, you've only defeated a safety device; the current will still circulate from hot to neutral.
wrote...
11 years ago
In most circuits having a real ground is irrelevant.  The circuit works because there is a potential difference and electrons are driven through the circuit.  A ground is only something that provides a zero reference voltage and this does not matter to most circuits.

One area where a real ground is needed is when things interact with the circuit or might interact with the circuit and you want to be sure that there is not a significant potential difference between the circuit components and the objects near the circuit.
wrote...
11 years ago
Whether the ground reference is connected or disconnected is not a matter, as long as the circuit is a closed one.

If and only if the circuit is not closed or is open as the ground is disconnected, the current will cease to flow. If not, there will be current.

The current through a circuit depends on the potential difference between two points and as hence the actual potentials of the points under consideration can be changed at our will.

Consider two points which are at + 10 V and another at ? 2V and there is no ground reference.
The potential difference between them is 10 ? [? 2] = 12 V.

If the negative point is earth connected, then the potential at that point becomes zero and the positive potential becomes 12 V with respect to ground.

Again the potential difference is 12 V.

But the circuit is a closed one even if we remove the earth connection. On removing the earth connection, the p.d remains the same as 12V and there is a current.

Instead, if we have cut the circuit at the negative potential point and the two terminals were connected to earth by two separate wires, on disconnecting one of the wires the circuit becomes open and the current stops.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  962 People Browsing
Related Images