t
i
r
r
colleen colleen
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
What are the five techniques of neutralization identified by Gresham Sykes and David Matza? Provide an example of each.
Read 3813 times
1 Reply
Sunshine ☀ ☼

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
Techniques of neutralization are used by people who engage in deviant acts to maintain a positive self-image and to compensate against the labeling of others. The five techniques of neutralization and an example of each are as follows:
(1) Denial of Responsibility: "I only sold drugs because I couldn't get a regular job. If someone would have hired me I would have been a model citizen."
(2) Denial of Injury: Denies that anyone was harmed by the act. "I may have stolen social security checks, but I only took checks from rich people. They'll never miss it."
(3) Denial of a Victim: Asserts that the victim of deviance "had it coming." Examples of denial of a victim are employed by individuals engaged in gay bashing, people who commit hate crimes, and when individuals commit acts of violence or theft against others who they feel have offended them (or others), such as a shop owner overcharging the public or an exceptionally insensitive professor.
(4) Condemnation of the Condemner: The deviant points to the behavior of the individual sitting in judgment of them and asks who holds them accountable for their behavior. A motorist receiving a speeding ticket asks the trooper if he or she was ever in a hurry to get home or a person being audited by the IRS asks the auditor who reviewed his or her taxes.
(5) Appeal to Higher Loyalty: The deviant received nothing personal from their act, but committed it for the benefit of others. "I sold drugs so I could feed my family." "I take part in drive-by shootings because the gang needs me."
````````````````````
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1238 People Browsing
 127 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293