k
s
P
i
tontron tontron
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
From my simple understanding, quantum particles are in many places at the same time. Could that have any relevance to a multiverse?
Read 509 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
No particle can be in two places at once.
I don't think I understood your question fully though, sorry.
wrote...
11 years ago
Yes, quantum particles are in two places at the same time under many circumstances. Wave Particle Duality explains furthermore, especially Tachyon particles that at times move so fast within duality that scientists cant even see or observe them but only detect their presence through mist in the past tense. Also if you see a star in two places at the same time its because a black hole is in between them. Im kinda forgeting now, but I read a long time ago some guy explaining how a qp could within a fraction of a nanosecond be in infinite places also but thats off topic and not credible. So, yes quantum particles hold the ability to be in two places at the same time.
wrote...
11 years ago
yes, quantum particles can be at several different positions at one time. and if a quantum particle moves from one place to another (and its position is not measured in between), it takes all possible paths from the initial to the final points. this can be most directly seen in feynman's path integral formulation of quantum mechanics, but is implicitly also present in the schrödinger or the heisenberg formulation. but (in contrast to your question), there is no actual classical path that the particle takes (if it isn't measured).

yet this has nothing to do with the multiverse hypothesis. all these possible paths take place in our universe.

but there is an interpretation of quantum mechanics, the many-worlds interpretation, that postulates that every outcome of a probabilistic quantum experiment is realized in its own universe (each time a quantum measurement is made, the universe splits into several copies where each possible outcome is realized in one of them).
but this is only an interpretation of the scientific theory of quantum mechanics. it makes no experimentally testable predictions (different from standard copenhagen quantum mechanics), so it is not really a scientific theory.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1260 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 488