t
i
r
lostmind lostmind
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
Hello,
among the proteins that pemit active transport, there is the P-type pumps and the F-type ones.
I think P stands for 'phosphate' (since the F-type pumps phosphorylates themselves), is this right ?
Could someone tell me what the F stands for ? (I found it stands for fraction, but fraction of what Neutral Face).
Thanks
Read 185 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, Transgenic Rat
F pumps transport only protons and are  found in bacterial plasma membranes, mitochondia(remember the H ion pumps powered by the electron transport chain!), and in chloroplasts. Basically the electron transport chains function to create Atp by creating a h ion gradient inside the mitochondia that then powers Atp synthase(a type of F pump that pumps H down it's concentration gradient) to smash together P and ADP by oxidative phosphoylation. Remeber you have oxidized high energy electrons off off glucose in a bunch of steps in the citric acid cycle and these high energy electrons and their attached Hydrogens were attached to  high energy electron carriers like NADH

I can't tell you what F stands for. I'm not sure it stands for anything. F describes the F0, F1 Domains  which describes the integral and peripheral domains of the protein(inside and outside of the membrane). These polypeptides forms a rotary motor that drives the H protons down the conc gradient

P transport pumps are phospohylated pumps  like NA/Potassium atpase pump. The addition of a phospate group mediated by atp hydrolysis at specific catalytic site on a subunit of the pump causes a confromational shape change causing NA/K ions to go against it's concentration gradient.

P added on = low affinity for NA so NA released
P taken off = Low affintity for K so it's released
It's a cycle
lostmind Author
wrote...
7 years ago
Thanks for your answer  Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1228 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion