r
d
l
a
Biologylover200 Biologylover200
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
A man with hemophilia (a recessive, sex-linked condition) has a daughter of normal phenotype. She marries a man who is normal for the trait. What is the probability that a daughter of this mating will have hemophilia? That a son will have hemo- philia? If the couple has four sons, what is the probability that all four will be born with hemophilia?
Read 428 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
7 years ago
The man is X*Y where his X-chromosome carries the mutation. He shows the phenotype as he has no back-up good copy of the affected gene.

His daughter inherits the affected X-chromosome from her father and I assume a normal X-chromosome from her mother so she X*X. Since she has a back up good copy of the gene on her unaffected X-chromosome she is phenotypically normal.

She marries a man who is normal, XY.

Any daughters produced from this mating will have at least one normal X (from the father) so will be phenotypically normal i.e. 0% chance of having haemophillia.

Any sons produced from this mating have a 50% chance of inheriting the affected X-chromosome from the mother i.e. 50% chance of haemophillia for any son.

For all 4 sons: (50%)^4 = 6.25%
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1112 People Browsing
 120 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204