s
a
t
i
r
irina irina
wrote...
11 years ago
How would I perform Electrolysis with salt using a battery to make sodium and chlorine?  Where would i put the cathode? the anode?  Are there dangers that i should be aware of?
Read 361 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Hi!

Ok, so in order to find out where to put each compound, you shoul decide what you want to oxidize and what you want to reduce.  Salt bridge helps to convey negative and positive charges to the area where reduction and oxidation take place. so in this case, you want your sodium to be oxidized, and chlorine to be reduced, since cl only needs one electron to be an octet.  anyways, you'd put a salt bridge connecting both the solutions where your oxidant and reductant is.

Hope this helps!
wrote...
11 years ago
I have included a link in the references section which explains how to do an electrolysis experiment with table salt. In electrolysis of salt you will get hydrogen (cathode) and chlorine (anode).

Hydrogen is flammable (although you will not get much of it. Chlorine is toxic. After the electrolysis the water will contain a small amount of sodium hydroxide.

You should do this experiment in a reasonably well ventilated room. The experiment is perfectly safe as long as you are reasonably careful.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1328 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370