r
silos silos
wrote...
13 years ago
I need some help please. Thanks.

1. The third law of thermodynamics tells us that:
A. Gibb's free energy is available to perform work
B. energy can neither be created nor destroyed
C. spontaneous processes always result in a change from a higher to lower energy content
D.entropy decreases with increasing temperature.

This question is really confusing me because the teacher states that the third law of thermodynamics is that entropy is zero, but I don't see anything like that in this goofy question. I know with thermodynamics energy is neither created nor destroyed, but I don't know if that counts for all the laws of thermodynamics.

2. Given the reversible chemical reaction: CO2 + H2O<----->H2CO3, which of the following statements is FALSE?
A. each molecule of H2CO3 produced required one molecule of CO2 and one molecule of H20
B. each molecule of H2CO3 may break down into one molecule of CO2 and one molecule of H20
C. at equilibrium, the rates of the forward and reverse reactions are equal
D.  at equilibrium the reactants have been completely converted to products
E. at equilibrium, the relative amounts of CO2, H20, and H2CO3 can be predicted from the equilibrium constant of the reaction.

I know for that question that the answer has to be either D or E.
Read 1108 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
13 years ago
1. The third law of thermodynamics tells us that:
A. Gibb's free energy is available to perform work
B. energy can neither be created nor destroyed
C. spontaneous processes always result in a change from a higher to lower energy content
D.entropy decreases with increasing temperature.

This question is really confusing me because the teacher states that the third law of thermodynamics is that entropy is zero, but I don't see anything like that in this goofy question. I know with thermodynamics energy is neither created nor destroyed, but I don't know if that counts for all the laws of thermodynamics.

2. Given the reversible chemical reaction: CO2 + H2O<----->H2CO3, which of the following statements is FALSE?
A. each molecule of H2CO3 produced required one molecule of CO2 and one molecule of H20
B. each molecule of H2CO3 may break down into one molecule of CO2 and one molecule of H20
C. at equilibrium, the rates of the forward and reverse reactions are equal
D.  at equilibrium the reactants have been completely converted to products
E. at equilibrium, the relative amounts of CO2, H20, and H2CO3 can be predicted from the equilibrium constant of the reaction.

I know for that question that the answer has to be either D or E.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1210 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?