a
t
i
r
Fiolet Fiolet
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
My grandfather got diagnosed with lung cancer. Well then he might have asbestos too. How do they treat that? Is it treatable?
Read 350 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Asbestos is a mineral fibre that when inhaled can cause lung disease. The lung disease can take a number of different forms, but sad to say that there are not many specific treatments for any of these - it's mainly supportive care with oxygen, pain relief, etc.

I'll try to summarize the different types as follows:
1. Pleural plaques - these are benign and generally don't cause problems, or only very mild symptoms. They are evidence of asbestos exposure.
2. Pleural disease - a slightly different form, with more severe thickening which can impair breathing.
3. Asbestosis - diffuse lung disease that is usually slowly progressive and can be fatal in the end-stage, causing respiratory failure.
4. Mesothelioma - the most feared form, effectively a cancer of the pleura (the lining of the lungs). There are newer chemo agents for this, but none are that effective. Surgery is rarely considered.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1317 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293