G
f
a
d
c
BUGG123 BUGG123
wrote...
11 years ago
I did the equilibrium lab and I was asked for my observations. After, I was also asked to describe what happened in terms of equilibrium. What does that mean and what is it asking me for?

I was given

Cu(OH)2(S) Leftwards Arrow> Cu+2  +  2OH-

and asked to describe why the copper (II) nitrate turned a lighter blue and turned a little more solid when 1M NaOH was added.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
Read 334 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
The principle of equilibrium is that if you do something to a system in equilibrium the system changes to tend to reduce the effect of that something you change.

When the NaOH was added the amount, probably the concentration of OH- ions was increased. The system then alters to take away some of the additional OH- ions by shifting more to the left. That is the number of Cu2+ ions in solution was reduced and more solid Cu(OH)2 was formed. The reduction in   Cu2+ ions in solution makes the solution turn a lighter blue since it is the Cu2+ ions that lend the solution its blue colour.
wrote...
11 years ago
When you added NaOH, that increased the concentration of OH- so that the equilibrium shifts to the left  to make more Cu(OH)2 (s) so you have more solid, and less of the products, Cu+2 which causes the blue color.
wrote...
11 years ago
he/she wanted to know why did this balanced out. and would the outcome be bogus if the action/reaction was presented in the opposite manner. You need to remember to go back to the basics when a question is presented to you. You have copper which is metallic which conducts many things be it vodo in a bracelet that cures arthritis. To wire, electricity. He/she wanted to know your opinion as to the balancing of the copper since copper is in itself a raw yet natural ingredient in your cake mix...do you understand? You'll pass the class with flying colors if you remember to keep all of the outcomes or conclusions, centered on the natural elements. Hope I helped.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1004 People Browsing
Related Images