a
t
i
r
jujubee jujubee
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I know that the element Mercury is definitely not comprised of the planet Mercury, so what is the connection?  I am thinking it has something to do with the zodiac, but I really am not sure.  
Read 556 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Only the name, from an ancient Greek god.
wrote...
11 years ago
They both have something to do with fillings or the need to have them.

Mercury is used to fill cavities in the teeth and the planet Mercury is full of holes which will need filling before man can land there otherwise someone could sustain a serious injury should an astronaut ever go there and fall into one.
wrote...
11 years ago
 the planets were named after gods. being that the names were Greek. so It's more by Greek mythology and history.

Mercury is named after the greek god Mercury. the element's name, i suppose, is just a coincidence
wrote...
11 years ago
They are both named after the Roman god.  The planet for the same reason other planets were named after gods, and the element because the god Mercury was known for speed and mobility, and the element is also called quicksilver.

Oh and by the way, Mercury was a Roman god, not a Greek god.
wrote...
11 years ago
The connection is that they both move swiftly. Mercury was the messenger of the Roman and Greek gods because he could deliver messages swiftly, and the element mercury is a liquid metal at room temperature, so it can move a lot more swiftly than other metals at room temperature.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1276 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion