× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
Alexx Alexx
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
11 years ago
Daily, millions of people are dying because of hunger, diseases ect. We can do a lot to help them, but we don't. In fact, we usually don't even care about them.

Meanwhile, because someone killed a greatly smaller amount of people, we immediately start mourning, blaming god ect.

Of course I understand every parent, relative, friends and everyone else who is concerned about what happened. I also felt bad about the incident.

But I have a question: WHY to care less about the thousands (and more) people that are daily dying because of our ignorance?

I guess that very few have though about it and no one has found a single explanation (or at least an excuse...)

I do not intend to be offensive

In addition, I know (more precisely: I hope) that the above doesn't apply to everyone.

P.S. I was about to post that question as a reply at this topic: https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=54075.msg151538#new  But then I decided to make a new topic
Read 767 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
I thought of this too and discussed it with my students. Here are my conclusions:

1) It's because most North Americans don't but people who speak English or have similar ways of living on the same level; people other than those who practice the things we do on a daily basis are seen as aberrant, and so when we see them hurting, we simply care less.

2) The lack of media in places where these things happen daily. For instance, the same week this incident occurred, there was a major shooting in Chicago that killed nine people, and similarly, in Afghanistan, many school girls were killed (I believe at school) by some terrorist. Most people didn't know about this because the media didn't cover it as extensively. As a result, people didn't know, so you can see how important news coverage is.

There are many other reasons, and people, feel free to chime in, my conclusions are probably flawed so I would like to hear more.
wrote...
11 years ago
This guy believes that the reason it was so publicized was so that America could encourage people to remove the 2nd ammendent, gotta love conspiracists Nerd Face

Alexx Author
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
11 years ago
Personally, I believe that there is absolutely no excuse for what is happening. However, the first reason you provided is correct. People tend to care more about other people with similar habits. But these is such a huge numerical difference, that I can't accept that people should mourn less for the thousands of peoples that died because of hunger/diseases, just because the have different habits.

However, the second reason isn't correct, because media covers events that interests the public. It is possible for media to cover other incidents (like these you mentioned) but that just won't "impress" the viewers. (Ok, maybe there are a few events that media can't cover, but these are just a small percentage)

I believe the true reason is that we have lost hope for these people. We wrongfully believe that they have no future, and they are just a burden to the rest of us. But that's not true... It is us who deprive the hope of these people. Think about that: you aren't dying of hunger, just because you were lucky enough to be born at a developed country. They were unlucky and that's why they are suffering

Is it fair to care less about them?
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
I believe the true reason is that we have lost hope for these people. We wrongfully believe that they have no future, and they are just a burden to the rest of us. But that's not true... It is us who deprive the hope of these people. Think about that: you aren't dying of hunger, just because you were lucky enough to be born at a developed country. They were unlucky and that's why they are suffering

I was reading the paper today, and I simply ignored the story related to a Pakistani killing that lead to six deaths. I've heard so many of these stories over the years that I've come to believe that this country (Pakistan) and others alike are hopeless cases, simply because their society has collectively chosen not to evolve and adapt to mistakes made in the past. There are many issues for this, obviously one being that most people there lack freedom due various religious views and intolerance.

Is it fair to care less about them?

These stories are eye-openers. As humans, we are designed to care for those less vulnerable. That is what differentiates us from other animals - altruism. We have to care for our universal brothers and sisters; however, we cannot live our whole lives mourning. I believe in the philosophy that we must cry with those crying, and laugh with those laugh. You don't go to a wedding to be sad and cry, and similarly we don't go to a funeral to be happy and cheerful. There are only so many tears to shed, and I believe that most people are aware of things that go on in our world, but sometimes ignorance is bliss.
Alexx Author
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
11 years ago

Most of them didn't choose  to be like that. The lack of education and productive resources has forced them to be like that.
But maybe it's our nature: we allways try to find excuses.

I remember myself some years ago, wondering: "If they have no food, if they are suffering, why they keep making children?"  Only recently I understood how wrong I was...

The strange part is the fact that when we see a person who needs help, we are willing to do a lot to help him.
But about the thousands of people that we know they need help and we know we can help them, (but we just don't see them) we do nothing.

I think it's wrong to care about the few, and not the many just because it's more practical.

But as I said, maybe it's our nature. I just hope that this nature will change soon!
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
Most of them didn't choose  to be like that. The lack of education and productive resources has forced them to be like that.
But maybe it's our nature: we allways try to find excuses.

You said this right, so to everyone reading, never forget that people in third world countries did not choose to be born there, and so we shouldn't be so quick to judge. So, very good point.

I remember myself some years ago, wondering: "If they have no food, if they are suffering, why they keep making children?"  Only recently I understood how wrong I was...

They keep reproducing because either they are uneducated, lack contriceptives, or are simply ignorant.

Bio_man, I like the point you made about altruism, but don't forget we've evolved to have this wonderful quality. Therefore, this is seen in other animals as well. One thing is for sure, I would help anyone who came knocking on my door.
````````````````````
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1247 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292