t
m
p
m
colleen colleen
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
A patient angrily tells the nurse that he has been waiting over an hour for pain medication. When applying critical thinking, with which of the following should the nurse respond to this patient?
1. “I understand your anger and am sorry for the delay. I have your pain medication now.”
2. “I had other patients who needed my attention first so I did a few things before getting the pain medication.”
3. “I needed to find out what your medication is and if you can have more when you asked.”
4. “It seems that you always ask for pain medication when I am trying to do other things.”
Read 554 times
2 Replies
Sunshine ☀ ☼

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
1 -- Rationale 1: One behavior associated with critical thinking is having empathy and understanding why the patient is angry when having to wait for pain medication. The best response for the nurse to make to the patient is “I understand your anger and am sorry for the delay. I have your pain medication now.”
Rationale 2: “I had other patients who needed my attention first so I did a few things before getting the pain medication” is not an example of a critical thinking behavior and would be incorrect or inappropriate for the nurse to respond to the patient.
Rationale 3: “I needed to find out what your medication is and if you can have more when you asked” is not an example of a critical thinking behavior and would be incorrect or inappropriate for the nurse to respond to the patient.
Rationale 4: “It seems that you always ask for pain medication when I am trying to do other things” is not an example of a critical thinking behavior and would be incorrect or inappropriate for the nurse to respond to the patient.
Global Rationale: One behavior associated with critical thinking is having empathy and understanding why the patient is angry when having to wait for pain medication. The best response for the nurse to make to the patient is “I understand your anger and am sorry for the delay. I have your pain medication now.” The other choices are not examples of critical thinking behaviors and would be incorrect or inappropriate for the nurse to respond to the patient.
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!
wrote...
11 years ago
The first answer would be best. It addresses the patients feelings and offers a solution.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  973 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion