t
i
r
ppk ppk
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
13 years ago
"Ontario typically sees 1,500 deaths associated with seasonal flu annually. This year it has seen none."

Do you think that the regular seasonal flu has decreased in abundance due to the population overcompensating for the H1N1 strain? Or perhaps, the decline in the seasonal flu is a cyclic phenomenon that occurs every 10 years as the article states? Or maybe, the H1N1 vaccine confers some resistance to the regular flu strain that is unknown to scientists?

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/newsfeatures/article/774591--where-did-the-flu-go-this-winter?bn=1
Read 1659 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
13 years ago
I think that the H1N1 scare got everyone into flu prevention mode in a really big way this year. The media really blew H1N1 out of proportion when in reality I think it killed fewer people in Canada than our normal flu viruses. The vaccine was pushed into production and administration rapidly and priority groups were vaccinated first. Then there is the theory that if you are exposed to a virus such as H1N1, your body is building up its immune response so as to prevent infection and this could help ward off other potential viruses from infection as well. So even though we were fighting H1N1, we may have beat the other viruses for this season as well.
wrote...
13 years ago
I agree; the media did a really good job with making H1N1 sound scarier than it really was. There's also been an excellent effort put forth with increasing public awareness of good general hygiene, like how to properly wash your hands, sneezing/coughing into your arm rather than into your hand, etc. I've also never seen more people carry around hand sanitizer.
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
13 years ago
I think its because a greater number of people got infected by swine flu all over the world. And these news were advertised constantly all over the place. It really did scared a lot of people and especially the priority groups were taken seriously and received vaccines. Also, the protection from this vaccine must have some sort of higher immunity towards the regular flu. This could be the reason why we don't see that many cases this year. Overall I think I agree with you guys that media did had a great impact on people regarding increasing public awareness.
wrote...
13 years ago
I think that the H1N1 scare got everyone into flu prevention mode in a really big way this year. The media really blew H1N1 out of proportion when in reality I think it killed fewer people in Canada than our normal flu viruses. The vaccine was pushed into production and administration rapidly and priority groups were vaccinated first. Then there is the theory that if you are exposed to a virus such as H1N1, your body is building up its immune response so as to prevent infection and this could help ward off other potential viruses from infection as well. So even though we were fighting H1N1, we may have beat the other viruses for this season as well.

I completely agree.
wrote...
13 years ago
I have a feeling that over-hyping the H1N1 scare last year actually had a negative effect. According to the news, the number of people that got their flu shot this season was way less than the number of people last year.
wrote...
13 years ago
^Here's an article showing where I read it: http://www.suite101.com/content/seasonal-flu-vaccinations-down-in-canada-doctors-urge-flu-shots-a328246
wrote...
13 years ago
Here in Alabama, the flu is bad. A lot of people are missing work and school due to the flu.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1314 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?