t
i
r
r
leo226 leo226
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I am doing a science experiment and it requires measuring the voltage of a simple circuit.  What i mean by this is just a circuit consisting of: a battery, wires, and a light bulb; THAT'S IT.  So can you please tell me how i need to know this asap.  Images and/or videos would be helpful.
Read 428 times
3 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
you need to get a voltmeter and place it in parallel across your circuit; that way you will read the voltage drop across a circuit element

if you want to measure current, you should place your ammeter in series with the circuit
Answer accepted by topic starter
buddkmbuddkm
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 110 words.

Related Topics

wrote...
11 years ago
Sound complicated? You probably are merely meant to measure the battery voltage with the bulb alight. Red/ positive voltmeter lead to the positive battery terminal, black/ negative voltmeter lead to the negative battery terminal, and of course, a voltage range on the voltmeter selected to suit the expected voltage maximum (the marked battery voltage). Beyond that:
You turn on the bulb. You measure the voltage across the bulb, and across the battery contacts. If there is a difference, i.e. if the voltage across the bulb is lower than the voltage across the battery, you measure the voltage from each battery terminal to the bulb terminal that the wire connects to.
It depends on what you are expected to understand from the circuit. This second procedure I mentioned would help you decide whether there is a voltage difference between what the battery measures and what reaches the bulb. If there is a difference, it is from ohmic resistance in the connecting wires. So you measure the voltage across each of the 2 wires, and when those 2 voltages are added, it will equal the difference between battery and bulb voltages you first measured.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1367 People Browsing
 108 Signed Up Today
Related Images