a
t
i
r
SMOKEY2112 SMOKEY2112
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I'm building a small vertical axis wind turbine for a school project. I wasn't getting the voltage I needed with wind from the fan I had, so I decreased the radius to increase the rotational velocity. When I halved the radius (and doubled the RPMs), the voltage more than quadrupled. Is this an accurate relationship? Or should the relationship be linear and some other factor accounts for the increase in voltage?
Read 463 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
a dc generator (unregulated) will create variable voltage depending on speed of generator within design limit where you will have problems is in applying that voltage to a load device. (basically) speed =voltage(within design limit unregulated) torque=amperage. in other words with a load device you will need to regulate the voltage for that device and produce enough horse power input to maintain the amperage requirements.
wrote...
11 years ago
Generators are usually wound to be linear over their usual operating range. When running slower than that the voltage will increase with speed but with no guarantee of linearity.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1352 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?