s
a
t
i
r
irina irina
wrote...
11 years ago
I figure each planets gravity must play a part on each other in the universe while orbiting the Sun, but can the presence of, for example, Venus be detected here on earth as it nears us in its orbit of the Sun?  Are there any instrument that have detected this?
Thanks!
Read 646 times
10 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Well, Earth's orbit is perturbed by close approaches of other planets (especially Jupiter, of course), not much, but calculably so. Solar System is a chaotic place, and none of the orbits are, strictly speaking, stable in the long run. Is that what you mean?
wrote...
11 years ago
Consider the tides on earth,these are obvious signs of gravitational interference by another celestial body.
wrote...
11 years ago
Planetary gravity has an effect which can be measured in its influence on the orbit of Earth.  Jupiter and Venus have the largest effect.  However, if you mean a gross effect such as noticeable tides, the answer is no. The discovery of Neptune came as a result of its gravitational effect on the orbit of Uranus.
wrote...
11 years ago
Of cus. For example, moon gravity affects the sea wave patterns.
wrote...
11 years ago
It depends on what you mean by "detect".  There are slight effects on the orbit of the Earth, and on precession, that can be detected on measured, from all the planets (except Pluto).  Even the effects of the "big 3" asteroids can be detected.

The effects on ocean tides, on the other hand, are too tiny to detect.  Tides from Venus, for example, are only about 1.5 micrometers.
wrote...
11 years ago
every single object in the universe effects the other objects with their force of gravity. however, these forces are so small that they usually are impossible to detect. as far as i know, we cannot determine the presence of venus on the earth. possibly when we are close to it we can with advanced instruments but im not entirely sure
wrote...
11 years ago
Not trying to be a smartass or anything, but not all planets play a part with each other in the universe (gravitationally). There are many exo-planets (planets outside our solar system) that play no factor on our planet. So 99.9999999999% of planets (basically all have not been found yet. We only know of about 300) play no factor on Earth gravitationally
wrote...
11 years ago
Although we can calculate the effects of other planets, there really isn't a detector, per se. I mean, you can't turn something on and have it point to the moon. The gravity of Earth is so much greater.
wrote...
11 years ago
I'm not sure if we have equipment capable of detecting it or not, but the pull from other planets is negligible.  Gravity drops off fast with distance: basically, gravity = 1 / (distance squared).  So even though the planets are more massive than the Moon, since they're so much farther away, they don't really pull on us.  The total pull of gravity from all of them combined at their closest distance (basically, during a full planetary conjunction) adds up to a small fraction of the Moon's pull.
irina Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thx!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1280 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431