n
i
d
d
J
nursewiz13 nursewiz13
wrote...
11 years ago
I have a difficult enough time grasping the sheer quantity of matter and energy out there. One thing that nags at me is why there are fields at all and what sets their strengths? Why do particles form atoms? Why does gravity form planets just so? What are the other fields? And lastly what would the universe look like if any of these fields were stronger or weaker.... Would I be correct in assuming there would be no planets no atoms? Just a big ball of neutronium or on the flip side a bunch of energy flung into nothingness in all directions?
Read 252 times
5 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
To answer your first question, either God or random chance set the strength of the fundamental forces along with the parameters of space and time.

To the best of our understanding, everything we know is a consequence of those initial parameters.
Answer accepted by topic starter
leonardyileonardyi
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 350 words.

Related Topics

wrote...
11 years ago
One of the most baffling mysteries for physicists is why the values our universe has.  Why is gravity the weakest of the four forces, why do neutrinos have mass, why are there up, down, charm, etc. quarks with different values of mass, spin, charge.  Why is 70% of our universe dark energy, why is 25% of it dark matter, and why is the paltry 5% that's left the mass (baryonic mass) that we are familiar with.  Why.

The truth is, we have no clue...but we're working on it.  One of the strengths of the yet untested and unvalidated string theory is that many of these values (charge, spin, etc.) pop right out as solutions to the string theory equations.  But with these solutions, there are more questions raised...for example, why does string theory predict the strength of the graviton to be orders of magnitude greater than observations show it should be?  [One explanation (a WAG) is that part of each graviton exists in other, higher dimensions...or even in other, parallel universes.]

What is truly amazing is that each value has to be just so or our universe would change radically.  That is, for example, if there were only down quarks, there would be no protons or neutrons...at least not as we know them.  Thus, there would be no atoms as we know them and, therefore, no matter as we know it.  All for the lack of down quarks.

Our universe is like a giant house of cards, you remove one card and the entire thing collapses into...who knows what?
wrote...
11 years ago
The only explanation which has so far been offered by anyone is that God chose the values.  Science simply doesn't have an answer.  The idea is discussed as the 'fine-tuned universe'.  There's a fairly small set of physical constants which specify the strengths of the various fields.  Several are so sensitive that, were they different by less than 1%, the universe as we know it would be impossible.  Perhaps there could be other universes with different physical laws.  So far, we have no way of knowing.
wrote...
11 years ago
According to my own Fractal Foam Model of Universes, expansion of space is the ultimate source of energy in the form of p-waves and s-waves in the ether. Exchange of momentum between p-waves and s-waves causes s-waves to orbit one another as particles, which converts some or all of the s-waves' energy to mass. Particles in proximity to one another alter the otherwise uniform background of p-waves; this results in all the forces of attraction or repulsion between particles.

The speeds of light and gravity are determined by the sheer modulus and compressive modulus respectively of the ether and by inertial density of the ether. I suspect that the ether is an ultra-hard and ultra-dense solid in the shape of a foam; the median size of ether-foam bubbles is probably close to the Planck length.

The ratios of the different forces are determined by how the various particles bend p-waves. A particle may consist of two or more orbiting s-waves, and the orbital speeds may be equal to or less than c.

An orbiting pair of s-waves should have the appearance of concentric light and dark circles relative to the otherwise uniform background of p-waves. Depending on the polarity of the orbiting s-waves, the forces may be attractive or repulsive.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  753 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 820