s
a
t
i
r
BurningEmblem BurningEmblem
wrote...
13 years ago
Substance’s Effect: Partially blocks the H+/pyruvate symporter, interfering with the transport of pyruvate into the mitochondria.
1. Causes weight loss or weight gain?

Substance’s Effect: Increases the number of free hydrogen ions or protons (H+) in the intermembrane space of the mitochondria (between the outer and inner membranes). 
2. Causes weight loss or weight gain?

Substance’s Effect: Makes the lipid bilayer of the inner mitochondrial membrane highly permeable to (H+) protons.
3. Causes weight loss or weight gain?

Substance’s Effect:Impedes the binding of NAD+ to electrons.
4. Causes weight loss or weight gain?
Read 15155 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Weight gain results from insufficient mitochondrial ATP production, so more has to be made from glycolysis.

Substance’s Effect: Partially blocks the H+/pyruvate symporter, interfering with the transport of pyruvate into the mitochondria.

Substance’s Effect: Increases the number of free hydrogen ions or protons (H+) in the intermembrane space of the mitochondria (between the outer and inner membranes). 

Substance’s Effect: Makes the lipid bilayer of the inner mitochondrial membrane highly permeable to (H+) protons.

What are your thoughts?
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Hey,

In living cells, 2,4-Dinitrophenol acts as a proton carrier, an agent that can shuttle protons (hydrogen ions) across biological membranes. It defeats the proton gradient across mitochondria, collapsing the proton motive force that the cell uses to produce most of its ATP chemical energy. Instead of producing ATP, the energy of the proton gradient is lost as heat - causing you to loss weight.

Therefore...

2. Causes weight loss
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
BurningEmblem Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Weight gain results from insufficient mitochondrial ATP production, so more has to be made from glycolysis.

I got the first two questions I just wasn't sure if I was right or not, and the last two questions I just flat-out could not understand. We didn't really discuss this in class and I couldn't find it in my notes or on google.

Thank you so much for helping me! Slight Smile I think this forum will really help me understand Biology a lot more.
BurningEmblem Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Woops, sorry didn't mean to put that all in quotes lol

Thanks again! Slight Smile Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Slight Smile You're welcome.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1219 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431